Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Research Paper?

Ha. I haven't written a research paper since I was forced to sophomore year in highschool. And that wasn't even a research paper. It was a freaking speech. And I rocked it, even though I don't remember what it was about. So now I'm writing a research paper on the roles of women in post WWI America in the modernist literary movement and in politics and how they had trouble finding roles for themselves and how it relates to Tess Slesinger's The Unpossessed which is brilliant, by the way. My findings thus far?
"The revolution [in manners and morals] was accelerated . . . by the growing independence of the American woman. She won the suffrage in 1920. She seemed, it is true, to be very little interested in it once she had it; she voted, but mostly as the unregenerate men about her did . . . Few of the younger women could rouse themselves to even a passing interest in politics: to them it was a sordid and futile business, without flavor and without hope. Nevertheless, the winning of the suffrage had its effect. It consolidated woman's position as man's equal"

--Frederick Lewis Allen, Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the Nineteen-Twenties (New York, 1931)

Crazy man. I wonder where he did his research. Or got his facts. Probably the same place that those crazy Christians of Acquire the Fire do.

JSTOR is my new bff.

listening to: Sigur Ros--Ágætis Byrjun

No comments: