Friday, May 11, 2007

Continuation of Theological Debates

So I finished watching the debate online tonight. Overall it was really interesting but I was irritated with both sides. The atheists did a fairly good job and certainly won given what the debate was supposed to be about (proving the existence of God without using The Bible or faith) but started to grate on me with their condescending attitude toward anything that is not logical. The girl especially (I think her name was Kelly) was very annoying because everything she said sounded snitty. You can make your point without sounding like a condescending asshole. Overall I disagreed with conclusion of both sides. I wrote this on the discussion board:
I am of the opinion that both Kirk and Ray are rejecting their faith by deciding that they need to prove the existence of their God "scientifically". The entire point of the Christian God is that He is not proven but that you have faith in Him. Those who have read Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy know what I'm talking about: the Babel fish proved God's existence and therefore disproved God's existence. Ray and Kirk will just have to accept that their faith and science are two entirely different fields of thought. It seems that they have a real desperation to prove what they believe is real. There is nothing wrong with having faith in something you don't fully comprehend . . . that's part of being human and is a concept that is as old as the earth. They certainly did NOT prove the existence of God tonight. I am personally irked by both parties assertation that you have to view the world in a specific manner. A diversity of beliefs along with a rudimentary system of values instated by society (i.e. do what you will so long as you harm no other being) creates fascinating culture, beautiful art, great literature, and so much more.
Unfortunately many people on both sides are small minded so the likelihood of something like this ever happening is pretty much nil. The other posts on the discussion board were mostly ludicrous, irrational, and grammatically incorrect. I actually think that I could hold my own very well in a debate like this. Maybe someday I'll get the chance.

Watching: Futurama

No comments: