Friday, September 14, 2007

The Venerable Bede



"'Such,' he said, 'O King, seems to me the present life of men on earth, in comparison with that time which to us is uncertain, as if when on a winter's night you sit feasting with your earldormen and brumali --- and a simple sparrow should fly into the hall, and coming in at one door, instantly fly out through another. In that time in which it is indoors it is indeed not touched by the fury of the winter; but yet, this smallest space of calmness being passed almost in a flash, from winter going into winter again, it is lost to our eyes. Somewhat like this appears the life of man --- but of what follows or what went before, we are utterly ignorant.'"

--The Venerable Bede
Ecclesiastical History, Book II

Maddi showed me this quotation about a year ago and I looked it up again today while trying to find quotations to put within the three books of my graphic novel. There's something about it that just floors me. Maybe life just feels so fleeting right now because I'm already three years into college and it feels as though I just started yesterday, but magically know the bus routes well. This, along with this Virginia Woolf quotation from To the Lighthouse (stunning book, by the way) will be the quotations that go behind the title pages for part II and part III. For part I I used a classic from Flannery O'Connor:
"She would have been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."
--A Good Man is Hard to Find

Someday I hope to write a stunning quotation that just completely alters the way someone thinks about things.



1 comment:

Maddi said...

This is a different translation than I found. You should find the original in Ye Olde Englysh. Because that would be tight.