Saturday, September 15, 2007

First Essay of the Semester . . . Finished!


For awhile I was scared. I mean, no more 200 level classes for me. It's 300 and up from here on out. I was really terrifically frightened of the papers I would get because I previously would generally write one paper a semester before because I was taking mostly studios. And sometimes those papers would be being graded by people who had English as a second or even third language *coughasianmythologycough* so they would end up being much too generous to a paper that was written in an hour the night before at midnight.

So anyway, I was a bit nervous about my first paper this semester. But guess what? I finished it today in only two hours, much of which was spent twiddling my thumbs. Do you know why? Because I've read The Brothers Karamazov twice already and the topic ("Ivan Karamazov is split between two contradictory ideas. Explain what the contradiction is, using at least two passages from the novel to support your ideas.") is so kickass because I actually spent a good deal of time thinking about ol' Vanka K. after I first read the book and really knew the answer to the question the moment I read it. I also already had all the great quotations I would need underlined so they were easy peasy to find. And this was how my essay, "Ivan Fyodorovich Karamazov: A Tortured Soul Who Is Wracked With Some Sort of Negative Emotion ", was born in a mere two hours.

And this is why from here on out I am going to email my professors over breaks, find out what all the reading for the class will, and read it before I go back to school. It makes life so much less stressful.

Listening to: Simon & Garfunkel--Cecelia

No comments: