Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Research

So now that I've decided I want to go into illustrating, I've been doing some research on illustration work that interests me.

Paula Sanz Caballero:



Really cool style. She appears to work almost entirely with textiles by hand. Even though they are stylized, her pieces also contain depth and she creates little worlds with fabric and thread.

Kenneth Lavallee:


I love the graphic, vintage playfulness of his style.

Jillian Tamaki:




Probably my favorite so far. Her style is so cool! It's reminiscent of Japanese Ukiyo-e prints, but it also has a hint of Americana to it. She's also doing graphic novels (the above, Skim). She didn't write it, but it's still a bit closer to where I'm headed than all the magazine work I keep running into. I mean, I'm certainly not above taking a magazine job. I just hope that that doesn't become the highest point of my career.

Anyway, it's really amazing. I've been spending so much time trying to find painters that create compelling work and it turns out all I had to do was look up illustrators instead. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm defiantly going to check out that graphic novel, too.

More mock up pages soon. I've done four more and have to get 16 more out by Wednesday at 8:30, so there's going to be a lot at once.

No comments: