Friday, October 26, 2007

Foreign Landscape


Layer 4. Also, I finally have the paper with my idea and internet in the same room, so here it is:

1) Romanticization of a place I have never been based on the name and my own perceptions of the country it is located in. For example, Yellow Mountain, Spain would be different from Yellow Mountain, China.

2) I am physically removed from China. I am orally removed from Yellow Mountain because Yellow Mountain is the English name. Even if I go there, I am removed from the landscape and population due to my extremely different way of life. To say you understand a culture is an attempt to control the culture.

3) How does Yellow Mountain differ from the Rocky Mountain peaks or other mountains I have physically experienced?

4) In my mind, Yellow Mountain is beautiful. Yet when I consider China, I think of huge polluted cities where the locals spit all over the streets. I wonder if China's newfound industrialization will, like a tumor, swallow the beauty of Yellow Mountain. Also I think of damn commies.

So yeah, I guess I'm thinking about a lot of stuff. I just need to really convey it on the canvas because you can think till the cows come home and if the work doesn't back it up then the work falls flat. I'm thinking of doing the White Cliffs of Dover next, which I think will be a big contrast because I've actually been to England. I haven't seen the White cliffs, but still I'm a LOT more in contact with that culture than Chinese culture. Hell, I'm drinking tea imported from England right now.




I'm getting there with the tea cozy. I think I'll start decreasing in a few more rows, which means getting the double pointed needles out which is the grossest, but at least it means I'm almost finished.

Wood shopping with Kelly and Christine tomorrow! I'm going to make like, five stretchers!!

listening to: The Cardigans--Life

No comments: