Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Are We Americans really that stupid?

I have noticed a trend in the selling of foreign books and movies. Often bits and pieces will be changed in order to better suit the intelligence of the American public. Or, our apparent intelligence. Anyway, the biggest and best example is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. That is how the book was sold and still is sold in the United States. I actually checked at the Amazon Canadian store and they have the British version, so it's not really Americans. It's the United States. At any rate, J.K. Rowling named her book--the original version--Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. This title actually makes a good deal more sense because in mythology (and not just British mythology, mind you) the Philosopher's Stone is a stone which can turn all metals to gold and be used to create an elixir that would induce youth. The Sorcerer's Stone does not exist.

I saw this again when I was watching Miyazaki's "Whisper of the Heart". I kept thinking that it was an especially inane title (so much so that I was wary of watching the movie) but then I looked it up. Apparently literally translated it means "If You Listen Closely" which, in my opinion, is much nicer sounding than "Whisper of the Heart" which sounds like a syrupy romance novel.

So why all the unnecessary and stupid changes? Obviously entertainment executives are underestimating the American public. Or are they? I wonder if Harry Potter would have done nearly as well over here if they hadn't changed the title. I mean, I would still love it and I know tons of other people who would as well, but what about all the people who apparently when to see Norbit and Wild Hogs? It can't possibly be just in the United States that these sorts of people who enjoy the stupid and moronic exist. Perhaps it just that we are a more populous and spread out nation than the UK.

I'm still pretty insulted, though.

listening to: M. Ward--Sad, Sad Song

No comments: