Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Six more days of Class!
















Whew. Okay. Busy time. I'm kind of glad we're done with self portraits in life drawing; I'm so sick of charcoal right now. We're doing ink which is oodles of fun . . . once you add the wash. The basla wood stick to draw with straight ink by itself is not so fun. The self portrait is in charcoal, I call it "You Bastard" because I guess it looks like I'm pissed or like I'm calling someone a nasty name. Five agonizing hours, but it was worth it because Ros (My proff) LOVED it and it totally makes up for my kind of crummy in class work. I don't, my hand betrays me all time. It just goes all funky and I can't get a nice line or the right shape right away. Everyone one else's work looks better than mine. But if you give me a few hours I can hammer out something beautiful. It's just the way I work.

Of course, It's a bit different with these ink wash drawings. I think it's because I start out with something on the page (the light wash) which lets me know the mass of the figure and lets me wrap my brain around where the lines should go. It's terribly helpful and I really like the way these turned out. I love ink!!

Also, yesterday I went to this lecture on comic book arts in the Krannert by Scott McCloud. He was a total textbook comic book nerd. Black clothes, glasses, hair falling into his eyes, wife who has purple highlights and is wearing an Inuyasha t-shirt. It was really interesting and I'm more pumped than ever to get started on my yet-to-be-named graphic novel. I might rework the plot a little too to make it more about the new woman--the new female hero--which is what I think I want my art/writing to focus on right now. It was fun too because he talked about comics that I read as a child and teenager (holy shit I'm not a teenager anymore!!) and loved like Tintin and Ranma 1/2. I totally want to reread them now but they're in DeKalb. I claim them! My brothers will not get Tintin and Ranma! They probably won't either because Nick is all into living with as little material junk as possible these days which makes sense because he's moving all over the place and Alex is mostly into fishing books.

Anyway, he introduced me to a new comic which is totally fawesome. It's called Scott Pilgrim and it's by Bryan Lee O'Malley. The art isn't amazing or anything, but it really works for the style. It's kind of modeled on Manga and you can totally tell that the writer is into both video games and japanese comics. Basically the premise is that Scott Pilgrim is this slacker/dork/nerd who is in a crappy band called Sex Bob-omb, lives with a gay man who he shares a bed with only because neither of them can afford another bed, and has met this girl Ramona Flowers who he is totally into. However, before he can date her in peace he has to defeat her seven evil ex boyfriends. Whenever he defeats one they burst into a pile of coins and an object appears out of thin air. It's pretty hilarious and everyone in the Scott Pilgrim universe acts as though this is totally normal. Anyway, it's only up to book three right now and the fourth one should come out this summer. It's nice to have something else to look forward to once Harry Potter will be finished.

Okay. That was a long ass post. Oh, and apparently we shouldn't buy Coke anymore because they deplete the water of impoverished communities. So don't buy Coke.

No comments: