Thursday, March 15, 2007

The crapfest that is Top Design

So in an effort to quench my craving for drama + creativity (sorry America's Next Top Model, all you do is make my brain shrink) I started watching Top Design after Top Chef ended. I didn't watch Top Chef because lets face it: you can't taste the foods so your opinion must be solely made be the judges which I don't like. Anyway. Top Design is far less entertaining than Project Runway for a number of reasons. One is that most of the designers suck. This was also true of Project Runway for season three and it really made me disinterested. Second is that I'm not really sure that interior design is suitable for a competitive environment with an extreme lack of time. I think part of this lies in the fact that I like the design shows where they have a limited budget and have to make really nice looking stuff out of cheap materials because it's much more creative and its something I can relate to/do myself. Here mostly we see drama and very little creativity with the exception of (surprise) little Asian Goil who is the only one who has done anything that I've remotely liked thus far. I also love how his name is Goil like Goyle from Harry Potter (7.21.07!!) only spelled differently. What else? Their resident artist is a total douchebag hack, the judging process is as random as Random House Publications, and I have trouble respecting the judges themselves. I looked up those who were deemed worthy (Todd Oldham, Kelly Wearstler, Jonathan Adler) and was disappointed by what I found. Todd Oldham's designs look dated and kind of tacky. Kelly Wearstler's designs, while better, also are kind of tacky and look cluttered. Jonathan Adler's ceramic designs were pretty cool but not $100.00 for a teapot cool. If this is what interior design is then I'm really glad I never pursued it as a career. The problem lies in the fact that they rely too heavily on expensive designer furniture and such. This stuff (sorry Hector) often looks pretty blah to me. I prefer a Salvation Army reupholstered repaint. I prefer rooms that don't look like they can't be lived in. I prefer chairs that you can sit in for more than five minutes. I know I have better taste than any of these people any day. And I think that that is what pisses me off them most. So instead of Top Design I'm going to watch HGTV. At least on their reality design show the winner actually does something the public can see afterwards.

No comments: