Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dust

This past winter session I took this class called Merging Worlds. I guess it was kind of an Illustration 101 crash course. There were a lot of freshman and sophomores in it, which was interesting and different. A lot of people used marker and ball point pen for the first couple of assignments, which was something I hadn't seen in a while. Anyway, I kind of used the course to refine the digital sketching technique I've been using a bit here and there over the past couple of years, and I was very happy with the result. The first successful assignment was a shaded pencil drawing (I KNOW). Pencil always takes me a while, but I really do love the result I can get with it. Pencil is just so pretty. The assignment was to create a human animal hybrid, so I took a photo of my room, took a photo of a deer head from the nature lab, and started piecing things together. The dress is a dress from an old photo that I basically mostly had to paint in photoshop as the light was completely wrong. The arms are my friend Esther. It was a really fulfilling process to plan something out so well and then draw it and have such a complete reference for something that I made up.

This is the reference I worked from.
This is the final drawing. Pencil, 12"x16"

No comments: