Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Spot of Tea

So. One of the projects I'm working on this summer is a book about chinese tea with Nick and Lali. This is the first draft of a cover:


S'il te plait, click on it to see a larger image. It is a watercolor painting and I put the text on it in Photoshop. I wanted to block out the text with masking fluid and then erase it away so it was all white afterward, but that didn't allow me much room for error or messing around with the type, so this was a much better choice I think. Also I kind of enjoy the hard graphic edges of the type in contrast to the organic nature of the painting. The type is, of course, now subject to minute changes that the normal person will probably not notice, but will be a big deal to graphics people. Specifically typographers. I've never taken a typography class, so I'll probably run this by some people I know who have.

Also, today I bought this amazing stereo that has bluetooth, has a dock for an iPod, has a dock for a usb, can play regular and mp3 cds, can play FM and AM radio and has an alarm clock. I was super excited because it was everything I ever wanted in a pretty cheap package, and I thought I would be able to connect my computer to it wirelessly (the bluetooth) only to discover upon trying to connect my computer to it that there are different kinds of bluetooth, and the stereo was a2dp or something, which mac osx 4.11 does not support for some idiotic reason. So I was thinking I would have to return it, because most of the reason I got it was so that I could play music and watch movies wirelessly on loud, quality speakers when I discovered that apparently you can buy a usb device that adapts your computer to a2dp bluetooth. Or something. I'm not even really sure why there are different kinds of bluetooth. Anyway, I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'm going to call Best Buy tomorrow and have them tell me what to buy so I know for sure that it will work with a mac. Ridiculousness. It seems every time I buy a new technological product, I have to invest in something else to make whatever I just bought work the way I want it to. C'est la vie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that typeface selection. I second the idea that the hard edges of type provide a nice contrast to the soft watercolor edges. Good job!