Friday, February 29, 2008

Late Night Adventures in Snow, Painting

Okay, so I had a pretty busy day today. First I had class which I croaked my way through (this damn cold just won't leave!) until 2:15. Then I was starting work today at 2:30 like, eight blocks away. I was going to take the bus, but it was leaving just as I got outside of the Architecture building so I had to walk and I didn't wind up getting there until 2:45 because I am slow and I had to go to the bathroom. Anyway, the first day went well, the atmosphere is really causal, and I learned how to rip out and rebind books. I fixed two! It was pretty exciting. I think this job will be a very good learning experience and will provide a lot of practice for when I make my own hardcover book in several months time.

I worked until 6 and then took a nap and woke up at 8 but suddenly realized that I had to have dinner and that there was an episode of 30 Rock I'd not seen yet so I lolled around until 9:30 when I finally got my ass over to studio at which time I stepped outside and was like, why the hell is it snowing???? Dammit I want spring already. Then I didn't even work and Vivian and I went to get coffee but her car, who was wearing a spare tire because she'd gotten a flat, suddenly started making weird noises so then we checked it out in the Dunkin' Doughnuts parking lot only to find that her freaking spare was now flat. So we drove back to her apartment and watched half an episode of Project Runway while she was on hold with AAA, who said they don't bring tires to people which I totally think they should. I mean, come on! Get a deal with a specific tire place and sell the tires to people who really need them. She's going to have to have her freaking car towed tomorrow. Man, I have to learn how to change a tire and the oil and so much stuff when I get a car. Anyway, we called Saferides and they brought us back to studio and then I wound up working until 2 am. I actually really like working late. There's just something about late night that makes me want to produce.

So. What I've been working on? I'm building up a background for this Joan of Arc painting I'm doing. Kelly's posing for me tomorrow. She says her middle name is Joan after Joan of Arc so she's perfect for it. Here it is process wise:



Layer 2



Layer 4

These are pretty horrible pictures. I need to get some clamp lights. I'm pretty psyched about this painting. I'm working on a whole post that talks about what I'm doing with the icons and my whole thought process on this thing.

Finally, really cool book artist/painter I found: Ghada Jamal.










She works in many different and very interesting styles. It kind of makes me want to produce some poems that go together and make a little beautiful book for them. Maybe I'll do that this summer. I don't know. So much to do, so little time!

No comments: